Friday 24 December 2010

The Land of the Swiss!

Wednesday morning I made my way to the airport crossing my fingers all would go well. I got cehcked in and saw that the morning flight to Geneva had been cancelled and rescheduled to fly about 20 mins after mine, but all looked good for my flight *whew*
In Swiss Land with David Swiss!!
I was checked in and through security before my gate was open so I wandered around the shops and accepted the free Hazelnut Bailey`s sample. The flight was slightly delayed but otherwise went smoothly. David and his brother Pascal were waiting for me in Geneva and took me back to their parent`s house where I met the family including one of their sisters and her daughter Delphine who is 3 and a half. We had a nice family dinner then David took me on a little tour of Geneva. To get to Geneva we passed through France which is about 2 minutes from the house!
Jet d`eau
In the morning I hung out with David`s parents and niece while he slept the morning away (much like right now as I blog and enjoy my tea, also hiding from the massive spider I discovered in my room, as David sleeps blissfully unaware..). David`s parents were getting all packed to head up to the chalet in St-Luc, part of the Swiss Alps.
After they had gone and David woke up from his nap! we headed in to Geneva for my tour. It was crazy downtown since here they celebrate Christmas on Christmas eve so the 23rd is the last day that most shops are open. We finally found some parking and walked around along Lake Geneva. We grabbed some Starbucks - 20 bucks for 2 coffees and a slice of lemon loaf! This isn`t known as the 6th most expensive city in the world for nothing!!  Then we headed over to the Jet d`Eau, one of the largest fountains in the world shooting water 140 m into the air! We also stopped for a picture in front of the flower clock- another landmark, I was told by my tour guide.
Geneva
Later on, Pascal made us dinner and we enjoyed a movie at his apartment on his huge projection screen. Then we met a couple of their friends for a drink.
Making tarts to bring to the Alps :)
So... we walk in to this pub/bar just as some interesting dancer-looking folk are walking out. We pass the sign on the door that say you must be at least 16 to enter... We are enjoying our 12 dollar drinks (rum & coke, vodka orange, nothing fancy) when the dancers come back. One male, one female, they jump up on the bar and stay 10-15 mins.... interesting show. This is when David tells me if you are 16 you`re allowed in the bar but can only order beer? I say to him, would you really want your 16 year old daughter watching this? Just as the male dancer gets on his knees on the bar and pour a glass of water all over himself... time to go!
I woke up this morning to snow falling in Geneva. Once David is awake and Pascal comes over we will be heading up the mountain for a big family Christmas.
I am so lucky to have a great friend with a wonderful family, all of whom have welcomed me into their home for Christmas. Definitely counting my blessings this year, and sending love back home to my own family and friends. Miss you and love you. I hope everyone has a wonderful Christmas full of love and some good laughs. Take a moment to think of all the wonderful things in your life, cherish them. Tell your family and friends that you love them! And do something you`ve always wanted to do but have never gotten around to doing.
Happy Holidays eveyone!!

No comments:

Post a Comment