Wednesday 22 December 2010

Happy Holidays!!

Couldn't go anywhere, so Angela and I decided to play!
Snow in London.... There is really no way to explain the panic that comes into a Londoner's eyes when snow is in the forecast. It doesn't even have to be physically snowing for the anxiety to begin. Which means, unfortunately, that is was not all that shocking to watch the entire country come to a standstill over about 4 inches of snow. It was sad, but not shocking. It snowed some on Friday and I awoken to quite heavy snowfall on Saturday. In total we got about 3 inches this times. I expected some chaos like last time, but definitely not to the degree that I saw. As many have seen on the news the airports were shut down. I am flying out of Gatwick airport, one of the smaller ones close to my house, in about 3 hours. This airport was closed for short periods during the snowfall. Heathrow, on the other hand, a huge international airport was closed for more than 2 days! I personally know at least a half dozen people whose holidays plans have been completely thrown off course because of this airport. We have friends staying at our house right now instead of a nice hotel in Spain because their entire trip had to be cancelled! And still, 4 days later Heathrow has not been opened back to normal. The images on the news are slightly misleading as we talk to people who were there and were promised but never given blankets, water, anything! They were told to leave the airport and given no information about their travels. Others weren't even allowed to enter the airport because it was getting so crowded! Happy Holidays!
'Charles'
So again, I am counting my blessings that everything looks to be going smoothly for my flight today and I will get to spend to holidays with a good friend and his family in Switzerland.

Hope everyone has a very Merry Christmas filled with family and friends. Best wishes to all in the new year! xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment