Saturday 28 May 2011

Airport sit in

I survived the week! The last week before a break always seems to find a way to be difficult. Wednesday and Thursday went fine. I was at a school I go to often and it is quite near my place, which makes it even more appealing when there isn`t a long commute involved.  Friday I was at my regular school, and since we have another week off for half term, they were doing quizzes to finish up the units we have covered in French. Basically this meant that I gave them a quiz and then a puzzle and wordsearch to do when they had finished and then the hour was up and I was off to me next class. Gotta love it.

Now we have a week off! Tonight Christine, Josephine and I are heading to Stansted airport to spend the night, we fly out to Krakow Poland at 6 am tomorrow. I am excited to explore this old city. Also, Christine and I plan on doing a tour of Auschwitz-Birkenau. This is not going to be the most uplifting of trips, but I am very much looking forward to seeing and hearing about the recent history. I must say, it is always strange doing tours over here of different cities and actually seeing buildings that were damaged during the wars. Makes you really start to realize and be grateful for how lucky we are to live in a country so untouched by bombings and war. It is hard to wrap your head around the idea that the war was right here and the people here lived through it. Having read so many books over the years, and just finishing Schindler`s List recently (recommend to everyone!), it will be very interesting to see where these events actually took place.
The house that I live in was here during the war, such a strange thought. And it has a little shed out back where they used to keep the ice chest before there were refrigerators, and the grey water runs right outside through a little drain, there is even an outside bathroom. Canada is so cute and young compared to over here!
Not to mention talking to the kids here and they have no idea what a backyard is. Some of them have family in the States and all they talk about is how big their houses are and how much space everyone takes up. Here it is hard to find a house that is not attached to the one next to it. And if your `garden` is big enough to deserve a little patch of grass, you are basically upper class! A very different world view than we are used to, we are very spoilt!
Off to pack. Happy weekend everyone!
Our garden. Not beautiful, but big by London standards

No comments:

Post a Comment