Wednesday 20 July 2011

School's Out For EVER!!

I made it!!! Today was my last day of teaching in the UK. It is rather cloudy and drizzly today, so it doesn't really feel like summer vacation but nonetheless it feels good to be done.
This year has been quite the experience and has taught me a lot about teaching and what it means to me.  The whole school culture is very different from Canada. I have definitely learned more about the kind of teacher I want to be, and now think that I could confidently answer the one interview-type question that always had me stumped - What is your teaching philosophy?
It was very nice having one school that I went to regularly. The staff are great at this school and it was sad saying our goodbyes today - I will miss these ladies.  I am looking forward to keeping in touch with them and seeing photos of babies soon-to-be-born, and of weddings soon-to-be-had.
I have grown a lot this year. I have learned a lot about teaching and have many new ideas that I can't wait to try out at home. Also,  I have learned a lot about myself and the things that are truly important to me. I feel like I have very different priorities and a very different outlook on life from when I boarded that long flight almost eleven months ago.  That being said, I have days where I sometimes feel almost nervous about coming back home. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely cannot wait to get back and be reunited with so many important people in my life, but I know that I have changed a lot and I hope that people will accept that. I guess I worry that some might be expecting that I will come back the same person ready to fall into the same routine. I don't see this happening and I hope that people understand this and will get to know the new me.  I suppose it will be easier with those who I talk to regularly, but with everyone having busy lives that was not the case with most.
Now I look around my room and wonder how on Earth this will all fit into one piece of luggage! On Friday I get on a plane, and travel to a +5.5 time zone to volunteer in India. Then I have some time to do the last of my London exploration and soon enough will be back on a plane to my -8 time zone. My poor internal clock - I'm sure it will think I'm 30 years old by the time I make it home!
I am going to MISS these girls!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment